Name:
Location: Alabama, United States

I am older than dirt and approaching retirement. I intend to drive my wife over the edge with discussions of saddles, mules and the repair of Army leather work.

Sunday, September 09, 2007

My Grandfather’s Syrup Mill

The enclosed are photographs of my Grandfather, Ulysses Samuel Couvillion’s syrup mill on Yellow Bayou in Central Louisiana. He is the one in the middle with the white apron, a neighbor, Joe Voiselle, is to his left. The rollers are used to crush the sugar cane, fed into the machine by the small boy in the middle of the photograph. Note one cane is going through the crusher. The mule, or mules, walks around the mill to provide power for the crusher.






From the left: Lyman Voiselle; Unknown, possibly Albert Moreau; Lester E. Couvillion; Henry “Guy” Couvillion leaning on his crutch and Joe Voiselle.



The caption on the back reads: “U.S. Couvillion, Jr. (Brother), Huey Riche, (Neighbor) and Joseph Bordelon (neighbor) at Syrup Mill.”

The juice from the crushed cane goes through a pipe to a holding barrel and is let into a baffled pan. The fire under the pan was maintained by Jules “Sweet Papa” DuFour at about 1,000°. As the juice traveled through the pan the water was boiled off and thickened. Using a hygrometer and a lot of experience Papa Sam drained the syrup. It was canned by Henry “Guy (pronounced “Gee”) Couvillion.



3 Comments:

Blogger Donna S. said...

Lyndon---Your blog is wonderful. You're soooooo talented!!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Donna S.

P.S. I wanted to be your first comment-------

1:27 PM  
Blogger Dave H said...

Great picture, Lyman was my Uncle and Albert Moreau was my Grandfather (Died when my Mother was young) The person with the crutch, are you sure this isn't Kermit Moreau? Looks like him and he did have Polio which made walking difficult. Kermit (Kish) was my Uncle and my mother is Francis (Nezie) Moreau-Heim. Thank you for the pictures!
Dave Heim

12:49 AM  
Blogger Pat, Marcus & Alexis said...

Couvi, I think I'll post a link to this item on my Lex Anteinternet site. Hope you don't mind.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home